On May 5, 2022, the World’s Strongest Gentleman (WSM) business declared in excess of their Instagram that Iranian strongman Peiman Maheripourehir will sad to say not partake in the 2022 WSM on Might 24-29, 2022, in Sacramento, California. Adhering to the news of Maheripourehir’s withdrawal, Manuel Angulo was revealed as his substitution, rounding out the 30-individual lineup.
Maheripourehir was last a fixture of the celebration through the 2018 WSM, and this calendar year was to mark his return to the level of competition. In accordance to an approximate translation of a since-eliminated story on Maheripourehir’s Instagram, he withdrew mainly because of problems with his visa.
With Maheripourehir’s withdrawal, the 2022 WSM has now noticed 3 different dropouts in as several months. Mateusz Kieliszkowski stepped down in early April 2022, citing a leg ailment, though later on that thirty day period, Rauno Heinla dealt with undisclosed difficulties pursuing a staggering Silver Greenback deadlift.
As for Maheripourehir, his best-at any time complete was a 3rd-put outcome in the team heat for the duration of the 2017 WSM. The Iranian athlete experienced because grown ever more more powerful, notching a 492-kilogram (1,084-pound) deadlift in March 2021 — putting him on the verge of the hugely unique 500-kilogram (1,102.3-pound) deadlift club. Alas, he’ll have to wait around at least another year prior to putting some of his new energy on screen in a WSM again.
Strongman Manuel Angulo will choose Maheripourehir’s place on the 2022 WSM roster. It will be the WSM debut for the 45-12 months-aged Chilean athlete.
Below is the up-to-date 2022 WSM lineup with Maheripourehir’s withdrawal:
2022 WSM Roster, Up to date
- Tom Stoltman (United Kingdom) — Reigning WSM Champion
- Brian Shaw (United States) — 2021 WSM 2nd put
- Maxime Boudreault (Canada) — 2021 WSM 3rd area
- Mitchell Hooper (Canada)
- Pavlo Kordiyaka (Ukraine)
- Rob Kearney (United States)
- Gabriel Peña (Mexico)
- Kelvin de Ruiter (Netherlands)
- Kim Ujarak (Greenland)
- Mark Felix (United Kingdom)
- Pa O’Dwyer (Ireland)
- Shane Flowers (United Kingdom)
- Jean-Stephen Coraboeuf (Australia)
- Bobby Thompson (United States)
- Aivars Smaukstelis (Latvia)
- Adam Bishop (United Kingdom)
- Evan Singleton (United States)
- Eythor Ingolfsson Melsted (Iceland)
- Konstantine Janashia (Ga)
- Charles “Trey” Mitchell (United States)
- Mika Törrö (Finland)
- Manuel Angulo (Chile)
- Luke Stoltman (United Kingdom)
- Bobby Thompson (United States)
- Kevin Faires (United States)
- Nedžmin Ambešković (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
- Gabriel Rheaume (Canada)
- Martins Licis (United States)
- Gavin Bilton (United Kingdom)
- Oleksii Novikov (Ukraine)
A Tall Endeavor
Whilst he may not be the greatest identify on paper, Angulo will enter the 2022 WSM with higher hopes. He most just lately showcased in an global opposition all through the 2021 Formal Strongman Online games while competing in the Master’s Adult men Around 40 division. Angulo skipped the minimize for that event’s finals, when the legendary Žydrūnas “Big Z” Savickas was the eventual winner.
In his WSM debut, Angulo faces tall odds amidst a stacked industry. Some of the more notable names consist of defending champion Tom Stoltman, 2020 victor Oleksii Novikov, 2019 champ Martin Licis, and 4-time winner Brian Shaw. An underdog like Trey Mitchell could also shock the top contenders. All that mentioned, it’s undoubtedly an outstanding development for Angulo, who will assuredly test to make some noise.
The 2022 World’s Strongest Gentleman will choose put on May well 24-29, 2022, in Sacramento, CA.
Highlighted picture: @peiman.maheri.wsm on Instagram